Court Procedures

The court date shown on your citation (ticket) is the date on which you will enter your plea to the court. This means that you will tell the court whether you are GUILTY, NOT GUILTY, or wish to plead "NO CONTEST" to the charge against you. (These pleas are explained in more detail below).

The information below describes the procedure that will be followed on intake court dates, including a brief description of your rights:

  1. If this is the first time you are appearing in court regarding you citation, you must report to the Prosecuting Attorney's office when name is called.  You will be asked to enter a plea to the violation for which you have been charged.  The pleas you may enter are as follows: 
    • If your plea is NOT GUILTY, you deny committing the offense, the case will be set for trial at a later date.
    • If your plea is GUILTY, you are admitting that you committed the violation, and you will be told the forfeiture amount and when it is due.  If you cannot immediately pay the forfeiture, you may request up to sixty (60) days additional time to pay.
    • If your plea is NO CONTEST, you are neither pleading guilty or not guilty, you are simply choosing not to contest, or fight, the charge.  The effect of this plea is that you will be found guilty, however, this finding cannot be used against you as an admission of guilt in some other court proceeding.
    • You may also request on continuance before entering a plea in order to discuss your case with an attorney.
  1. After entering your plea, you may reach an agreement with the Prosecutor to settle your case now, rather than proceed to trial.  If an agreement is reached, you will be given a copy of a "Stipulation" or emailed a copy of your agreement, that the Judge will review later, however, the Judge is not bound by this Stipulation.  If the Judge rejects your Stipulation, you may be notified to appear before the court on a later date.  It is your legal responsibility to update the court with your current mailing address 800.035(2)(a)5.
  1. If this is not the first time you are appearing in court regarding your citation (e.g., you are appearing to show a valid driver’s license or to request another extension of time to pay your forfeiture), you will be checked in to see the Judge.  When your name is called, come forward promptly to the front of the courtroom facing the Judge.
  1. Juveniles (persons under 17 years of age) who appear before the Judge have a right to request a private hearing for non-traffic related matters.