- Police Department
- Crime Prevention Tips
- Robbery Prevention
Be Alert To...
- persons shopping for long periods of time.
- persons delaying while others go ahead of them.
- persons loitering.
- persons asking questions about security alarms, number of employees, etc.
Be Prepared and Pre-Plan!
- Do not keep large amounts of cash in the register. Extra money should be locked up.
- If using video surveillance equipment, change the tape regularly and make sure it is operating.
- Apply colored paint or tape at 5' and 6' heights on the door jamb to assist in determining the suspect's height.
- Regularly brief all employees on robbery procedures and company policies if any.
What to do if you're held up
Remember, money and property can be replaced, but your life cannot. Call the police immediately after a robbery and be prepared to give basic information such as:
- the number of suspects involved
- any weapons displayed or implied and what type
- last direction of travel
- are the suspects on foot or in a vehicle
- type and color of vehicle
- clothing description
- license plate number
Personal Protection Against Assault/Robbery
- Don't carry a lot of money.
- Avoid shortcuts.
- Have your key ready. Both car and house key.
- If you think you're being followed, let your pursuer know that you know it. Cross the street, change directions, then go straight for help.
- If working late, get an escort.
- Look inside your car before getting in.
Using Automatic Teller Machines
- Use an active location during daylight hours.
- Go with someone.
- Be cautious. Look around for suspicious people. Wait until loiterers leave or find another ATM.
- Don't waste time.
- Make sure you are not being followed as you drive away.